photo 03a604677d47a570f6341f8afe5df60e_zps71d51070.png  photo twitter_zps299c6d16.png  photo facebook_zpsdad42964.png  photo instagram_zps643fd0d7.png

Sunday, July 12, 2015


Wow. I know that's it's been a long time--an extremely long time. I've missed this. But I guess a part of the reason why I haven't posted in a while is because I haven't been doing many creative projects that I thought were exciting enough to share on here. 

Wooden Creations is the name of the 5-day class that I taught to a group of rising 2nd/3rd graders. In my class they learned both the names and functions of important tools in a workshop, created wooden crafts such as a treasure box, picture frame, chalk board, and fan. To top it all off, my students created a traditional birdhouse, which seems to be the traditional staple of any woodshop/ woodworking class.

This was both the best class and first class that I've ever taught and planned completely on my own. However, I couldn't have done it without the support of Ms.Rachel, her neighbor, Mr. Sylvester, Ms.Nicole, my landlord, my parents, and my boyfriend. Because quite honestly, by taking on this class, I bit off more than I could chew. It took sleepless nights, crying fits, and physical pain to successfully see this class through. By the end of it, I was sad that it was over. This was the biggest and best challenge that I ever could have ever taken on. This is what I stayed in DC for this summer-- it was in this week that I became a better teacher and hopefully, overall, a better person. A colleague, who I respect a great deal, told me that I should be really proud of myself. And I am. I now appreciate and embrace the mistakes, random mishaps, and student conflicts that happened. So, to end the most perfect nerve-racking week of my life, came a visit from my parents. I guess it just keeps getting better. :)  

The Treasure Box. 

Step One: Paint Wooden Craft sticks using water colors. 

The students will create a pattern by layering the sticks on top of each other. 
Each student should have 60 popsicle sticks.
12 for the top. 12 for the bottom
36 for the actual box. 
The finished product displayed from a student who opted not to paint hers.
The Bird House.

What You'll  Need: 
Any 5 or 6 ft fencing. 4- 9-inch cuts (2 of these should be cut at a 45 degree angle)  [angled cuts are for front & back, regular cuts are for the roof 
2- 6 1/2-inch cuts [side walls] 
1- 7.5 inch cut  [floor] 
7 pieces total 
Hammer  
 Nails (1 1/2 inch)
Perch (wooden dowel/ stick) 
Hole Saw 

Begin by sanding your birdhouse.

Use a hammer to put the pieces together. With my supervision, the kids were able to do this step by themselves.

Prime your bird house by painting it white. 

When it's dry, add your vibrant paint colors.

Add designs/ finishing touches and let it dry overnight.


Next day: Use your drill and hole saw to create a hole for the birds to get in. Add a perch & you're done!
 The Name Plates.

Using scrap wood, students painted their initials to create name plates. 




More pictures from the Showcase. 















The End!




No comments:

Post a Comment