I've been natural for a while now, and I've come to learn what my hair hates and loves. Don't get me wrong, this is still a learning process but below are my best tips & tricks to achieving healthy looking hair!
1. You must moisturize your hair before washing. This means that your hair must already "feel" moisturized before you hop in the shower & begin to shampoo or condition. If you don't use an oil to saturate your hail like Coconut, or have really moisturized hair going into the wash, your hair will feel brittle when you jump out the shower. You have to coat your strands and protect them!
2. Detangling will make your life easier!! I made the classic mistake of shampooing my hair before detangling! Yikes! The results were plenty of knots and a few matted ends! Don't do it guys! Take the extra step to detangle, it will be worth it in the long run when it's time to set and style your hair!
3. Stick with what works!! I know that there are so many products out there on the market, that you've probably been dying to get your hands on, but if you've already found a routine and a starting lineup of products that are working for you, stick with them!! Don't switch it up until you see a change in your hair or desire a different look.
4. Low porosity hair requires more attention! It is more prone to breakage! Therefore, we have to keep our hair moisturized. After washing, I do the LCO Method. Liquid (water), Cream (Shea Moisture Curly Pudding), and Oil (Castor). My hair loves Castor oil, it keeps it feeling soft & hydrated!
5. Take your time to twist your hair, in small to medium sections. This way each strand is coated with product!
6. Trim your hair when necessary. I can look at my ends and tell when they need a good trim. But ladies, don't get too scissor happy or hold on to the damaged ends. Do just enough to create healthy ends that coil with the twirl of the finger!